An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry

An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry
Oxford Union Library, Oxford University

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Arts Babblative and Scribblative


The Arts Babblative and Scribblative
Christopher Bogart

“The arts babblative and scribblative.”
Colloquies on the Progress and Prospects of Society, No. 1, pt. 2
Robert Southey (1829)

Have I been a professor of old Bob Southey’s arts
Of the babblative and scribblative?
Or was my clime more the nursery rhyme of
Wynken, Blynken and Nod?

Like the fourth, not-so famous, Dutch sailor,
I, too, set sail early one childhood night
from a river of bright crystal light,
with high hopes of reaching the famed sea of dew.

My own journey began,
not in old wooden shoes,
or even in a pea green boat,
but in the deep blue waters of words.

I launched life afloat
on a sea of these words,
words I babbled, words I scribbled,
but always words used,
to instruct, to convince
my all listeners
of knowledge,
of thought,
and of what I believed.

However, I taught,
not with Bob Southey’s reason,
but in the passionate fantasy
of nursery rhyme,
while my students, often times,
to my sailor’s dismay,
seemed only able
to manage
a wink,
a blink,
and a nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment