An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry

An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry
Oxford Union Library, Oxford University

Monday, June 7, 2010

I never left my heart in San Francisco


I never left my heart in San Francisco
Christopher Bogart

I never left my heart in San Francisco.
I’ve never ever been there before.

I’ve left my heart in other places…

In Canarsie, Brooklyn,
the place I was born,
In Queens, in garden apartments
where I grew up,
In Metuchen, in the pine alley,
where the wild winds moaned,
And in Spotswood, the first home
we ever owned,
but which, last summer,
I emptied and sold.

I left bits of my heart in all of those places,
but pieces of my heart still reside,
in each and every place I loved,
I, there, still abide.

Yet what’s left of my life
now lies out before me,
in traces,
in spaces,
in places
I have never been before;
but, now that I’m retired,
I plan to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment