An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry

An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry
Oxford Union Library, Oxford University

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sonnet 2


Sonnet 2
Christopher Bogart

When I was young, and love was but a game
To play with careless rules at random sites,
I did not play by rules that were the same
As those that others chose. I chose new rites.
I looked not for the brief transparent hold.
I looked not for the warm but fleeting touch.
I mined them not for silver, but for gold.
For love I had to offer, I valued much.
And so I searched in truth throughout the days,
And weeks, and months, and years of struggle and strife.
I paid the coin all lovers learn to pay.
I paid the coin of my own youth, my life.
For what I learned is love is never sure,
Unless it’s found first where it’s most secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment