An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry

An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry
Oxford Union Library, Oxford University

Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Lady with Sad Eyes


The Lady with Sad Eyes
Christopher Bogart

From the first moment I saw her,
As a very young child,
She was to me
The Lady with Sad Eyes.

Why were they sad, I wondered?

She was dressed all in black,
Save for one white gardenia
Pinned to the black cloth
That covered her breast.

She held in her hands
A bouquet of white flowers,
Save for one black carnation.
But what of that?

Was she going to a wedding?
A funeral?

I often pondered that mystery,
Only later to learn
That it was both.

Tied, in her teens, to a child
Made a necessity of marriage,
And a misery of life,

She died not long after.

While I could easily avoid her gaze,
What I could not avoid
Was that same sense of sadness
That shone
In my mother’s blue eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment