An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry

An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry
Oxford Union Library, Oxford University

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Whose ox is being gored?


Whose ox is being gored?
Christopher Bogart

“It all depends on whose ox is being gored.”
Ann used to say to me at work
when a petty disagreement
turned into the Tet Offensive and
the opposing sides scattered to seek new allies.
“Yes, I know how you feel.”
The voice would condescend.
“I really hate when that happens.”
From her tone you knew that
she didn’t have a horse in the race,
a dog in the fight,
or an ox in the pit.
And as both sides formed,
in opposing offices
Like an indoor version of “Capture the Flag,”
I looked in amazement at the energy expended
On proving the point. Being declared the winner.
Waving the flag over victorious heads
like a deranged tableau from “Les Mis.”
To some of the combatants,
it bore global importance;
To others, a minor irritation,
An imperceptible drop in the office temperature,
Or was it a rise?
And as all this played out before our eyes,
I looked back at Ann.
Her eyes glinted in mischievous innocence,
and a Mona Lisa smile formed on her lips,
reminding me silently that
I guess it really does depend on whose ox
is being gored.

No comments:

Post a Comment