An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry

An Ongoing Conversation on Poetry
Oxford Union Library, Oxford University

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Retire/Redundant



Retire: to withdraw from one's position or occupation: conclude one's working or professional career. (Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary)

Redundant: Chiefly British. The state or fact of being unemployed because work is no longer offered or considered necessary.(Answers.com)

Redundant
Christopher Bogart

We call it retirement.
The British call it redundancy,
And I can see why.
With three days left
In what almost seems
An endless career,
I sit here, looking at the screen
Of my computer.
I’ve become unseen,
Emptying my hard drive.
It seems to me
I had barely arrived –
A brief twenty-five years ago
When, lo, to my surprise
It’s almost over –
And I sit here.
I have become
What I most feared –
What the British call
Redundant.

No comments:

Post a Comment